Planning your next Family Reunion, Corporate Event or Gathering of Friends?
The Tinley Park-Park District has ten picnic shelters throughout the Park District boundaries that are available for rental in 2023. The park shelters can accommodate group events for up to 150 people! Shelters are available daily for rental and can be used from dawn to dusk between May 1st and October 23rd unless previously scheduled for a Park District or a community function. No permits are issued for July 3, 4 and 5 due to the District’s community-wide 4th of July celebration at Jaycee Grove and Centennial Park. Printable District map and amenities at each park.
- Permit applications become available for Tinley Park-Park District residents at 9:00 am on the third Monday in January (Martin Luther King Jr. Day) at the Tony Bettenhausen Recreation Center.
- Beginning at 9:00 am, residents who are present receive a lottery number.
- Staff randomly pulls lottery numbers.
- Early arrival does not affect when the resident’s number is pulled.
- The applicant must provide a valid driver’s license with a photo to apply for a permit.
- All applicants must be at least 21 to obtain a permit.
Amenities available at the shelters may include those shown below. The individual park amenities are shown below.
- Ball Fields
- Basketball Areas
- Horseshoe Pit
- Portable Restrooms (Standard & Handicapped Accessible)
- Picnic Tables (8' long tables/ seat 10)
- Miniature Golf / Batting Cages
- Bean bag boards
- Playground Equipment
- Picnic Shelter
- Soccer Goals
- Water Fountains
- Indoor Restrooms
- Tennis Courts
- Sand Volleyball Court
For availability information, contact our friendly staff at the Tony Bettenhausen Recreation Center located at 8125 W. 171st Street or call (708) 342-4200.
Cancellations must be made at least 90 days before the shelter reservation date to receive a full refund. Park District staff determines refund eligibility due to inclement weather. The permit holder must submit refund requests.
Shelter Permit Fees
|Park||Address||Amenities||Capacity||Fee Resident/ NonResident|
|Buedingen Park||16612 Cherry Hill Av||Ball field, one grill, five picnic tables, playground, basketball, walking path||50||$110 R / $260 NR|
|Centennial Park||7800 W 167th St
(167th & Parliament)
|12 tables, two grills, sand volleyball, basketball court, walking path, playground, water fountain, fishing Illinois DNR licensing required||150||$135 R / $285 NR|
|Deinert Park||8557 Carriage Ln||Ball field, one grill, six 6ables, playground, basketball court, walking path||50||$110 R / $260 NR|
|Gory Park||16300 Surrey Dr||Two ballfields, one grill, five picnic tables, playground, sand volleyball||50||$110 R / $260 NR|
|Jaycee Grove||16801 S 80th Av||Four grills, 14 picnic tables, indoor washrooms, horseshoe pit, playground, sand volleyball, water fountain. Tinley Junction Mini-Golf & Batting Cages (fee applies)||150||$160 R / $310 NR|
|Lewis Park||16801 Normandy Dr||Ball field, basketball court, tennis/pickleball courts, floor hockey court, four picnic tables, water fountain, playground, walking path, NO grills.||50||$110 R / $260 NR|
|“Moose” Nasebandt Park||7899 W 174th Pl
(175th & Odell)
|Two ball fields, one grill, four picnic tables, playground, sand volleyball||50||$110 R / $260 NR|
|Pottawattomie Park||9128 W 178th St
(178th & Oakwood)
|Ball field, 14 picnic tables, four grills, playground, basketball, water fountain, walking path||150||$135 R / $285 NR|
|Vogt Woods||6527 W 171st St||Ball field, football field, two grills, 12 picnic tables, playground, indoor washrooms||150||$160 R / $310 NR|
|Volunteer Park||8180 W 175th St||Ball field, basketball area, sand volleyball, soccer field, four grills, 14 picnic tables, bean bag boards playground||150||$135 R/ $285 NR|
|*Fees effective January 1, 2023, at 9:00am|
|Activities such as conducting a raffle, selling products, charging an admittance fee, etc., are not allowed without submitting a Special Event Permit Application at least 60 days before the event date.|
Please note: Park District Security Staff will check for Park Permits. Permits must be completed and approved before the event. No Park Permits will be granted on-site.
Vehicles are not permitted on pathways or turf areas and must remain in parking lots. Please plan accordingly and use a cart or wagon to transport any supplies.
Additional rules may apply. Please contact the Park District for additional information at the Tony Bettenhausen Recreation Center, 8125 W. 171st Street or call (708) 342-4200.
Additional equipment or supplies, such as chairs, tents, etc., are the renter’s responsibility and must be approved by the Park District before the event. The Tinley Park-Park District does not rent additional items for the shelter.
No temporary structures, such as tents or canopies, may be used without the Park District’s prior permission.
Permit Form Rules and Regulations
Permit applications will be available for Tinley Park-Park District residents starting in January on the Monday designated as the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. A lottery is held if more than one person is in attendance at 9:00 a.m. Non-residents may obtain permits beginning April 1st. The applicant must provide a valid driver’s license or state photo ID upon applying for the permit. The Park District’s main office can be reached at 708-342-4200 if you have any concerns before 4:00 p.m.
- Applicant must be 21 years or older to obtain a picnic permit.
- This application form shall be referred to and used as a permit upon approval by an authorized Park District official. The permit must be carried at all times during the activity by the person who has obtained and signed the permit. This permit must be shown to any authorized Park District official or village police officer upon request. In the case of two or more conflicting activities, the permit dated first shall entitle that permit bearer to use the facility in question.
- Use of any contractual vendors, including, but not limited to, inflatable bounce houses/items, carnival-type equipment, food or entertainment, requires Park District approval in advance. A certificate of insurance from the provider naming the Tinley Park-Park District as the additional insured for one million dollars will be required. A certificate of insurance is required one week before the event for processing.
- The Park District reserves the right to require a certificate of insurance from any group.
- Vehicles are ONLY ALLOWED in the parking lot areas. Unload the contents of your vehicle in the parking lot. Vehicles are not allowed to be driven or parked in any other area. Vehicles are NOT permitted on Pathways or Turf areas.
- Any special requests must be presented in writing for approval one month before the permit date.
- Any application for continuous days will require approval by the Board of Commissioners.
- Alcoholic beverages are allowed in the covered shelter area only.
- No temporary structures, such as tents or canopies, may be erected without the Park District’s written permission. Installation of any stakes or posts into the ground is prohibited.
- The sale of concessionaries of any kind, including using intoxicating beverages (where not designated) and gambling devices, is prohibited.
- If your group exceeds the maximum number of occupants allowed, your permit will be revoked, and you will be required to leave the premises. Park District Security will check permits and the number of participants.
- In case of a conflict with Park District-sponsored activities, the Park District program has priority over the permit holder.
- If at any time your group causes damage to or alters park property or removes existing park property and/or violates state statutes of the State of Illinois, your permit will be revoked, and you will be required to leave the premises.
- Picnic permits do not give the group exclusive use of the amenities within the park. The Park and playground equipment are open to the public.
- The Park District reserves the right to require the permitted individual or organization to hire, at their own expense, an off-duty Tinley Park Police Officer to be present on the premises during the period of the permit at a ratio of 1 police officer per 50 persons in attendance.
- Whenever a permit is given to any group, an indemnity bond of up to $300,000 may be required, indemnifying the Park District for all damages to the premises or the equipment contained therein, or the appurtenances affixed thereto.
- In the community’s best interests, the Park District reserves the right to revoke the permit of any individual or group at the discretion of the Park District.
- The permit holder is required to remove any temporary signs, clean up trash, and leave the premises in neat condition.
- Electricity is not provided at any pavilion.
- Picnic pavilions are not storm shelters. Seek proper shelter during inclement weather.
- Personal grills are not allowed. For safety reasons, most picnic shelters include grills.
- Hot coals shall be left on grills. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DISCARD HOT COALS.
- Park District staff will have the picnic shelters cleaned by 11:00 a.m. on the day of your permit.
- DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN PICNIC AREAS.
- All other general district rules and ordinances must be followed in addition to these rental rules.
- The permit expires at Dusk.
- Visit www.tinleyparkdistrict.org for a complete list of Park District Ordinances.
- Violation of any rule or regulation will result in immediate termination of activity, tickets issued where appropriate, and exclusion from using Park District facilities in the future.
A strict cancelation fee of $50.00 will be charged if the refund request is made less than 90 days before the event. The Park District Staff determine refunds based on weather conditions. Please call 708-342-4200 to request your refund. The picnic permit holder may transfer from one picnic site to another if a new date and site are available for the current calendar year only.